The plan was to wait at least until December hit before I started commencing with Christmas-related entries. It figures that I got too impatient to wait that long. Can't help it. It's one of my most favorite times of the year. So here's 24 things you may and/or may not know about me regarding Christmas. A few of them are still going to get more elaborate entries of their own in the near future, but for now, this is a good way to kick off the Christmas season...
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I used to be all about wrapping paper but for little gifts, I'll go with the gift bags. I'm actually quite proud of the way I wrap though.
2. Real tree or artificial? I don't do the tree thing anymore since it has no real relevance to the meaning of the holiday. However, I do have an awesome Christmas tree story that I'll share in a later entry.
3. When do you put up the tree? Refer to the previous question.
4. When do you take the tree down? Refer to the previous two questions.
5. Do you like eggnog? I used to some time ago. After a while, it started tasting more and more like sour milk to me so I stopped drinking it.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? The Millenium Falcon, of course!
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Nope. Never have even growing up.
8. Hardest person to buy for? Naturally D since she doesn't celebrate the holiday.
9. Easiest person to buy for? Elijah. All I have to do is find the latest comic hero du jour or a good PS2 game and he's set.
10. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards? Neither. I don't mind getting them but I won't hassle with sending any out. And don't even get me started on those Christmas family newsletters...
11. Worst Christmas gift you received? A package of socks. I won't say who gave them to me. I know it should be the thought that counts and it is. However, at the very least, they could have been some decent socks.
12. Favorite Christmas movie? It's not even close..."National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation". There are several Christmas movies that I enjoy but this one is heads and shoulders above the crowd.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually the last paycheck just prior to Christmas. I will on occasion start earlier than that if I can catch a good sale here or there.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Not one of my own. This one time back in the day, Mom had got some perfume for one of her friends and forgot to give it to her. I gave that bottle to some gal I was dating at the time. I didn't even know what it smelled like so she could have wore it around me and I wouldn't even have known.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Christmas cookies. Not just any kind either. It has to be the sugar cookies, hard and crispy. The best kind is the cheap Pillsbury ones that come in a tube where all you have to do is cut them into slices and put them on a cookie sheet to bake them.
16. Clear lights or colored on tree? If you're going to have a tree, you have to go with colored lights. Clear would look too boring.
17. Favorite Christmas song? "Now Behold the Lamb" by Kirk Franklin and the Family. Very soon, I'll do an entry on my top 10 favorite Christmas songs of all-time. You may be surprised with some of the choices.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? It's usually pretty bad weather out that time of year. Either it's snowing or already has so either the way, the roads aren't fun to drive on. Plus, I'm pretty much a homebody anyway so stay home.
19. Angel or star on the tree top? I'm going to have to go with star. It has more symbolic meaning being associated with the star that guided Joseph and Mary
20. Open the presents Christmas eve or Christmas morning? Christmas morning. I never have understood the whole Christmas eve thing that some people do instead.
21. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Businesses that refuse to acknowledge the special day for fear of being politically incorrect so they go with "Happy Holidays" or "Merry X-Mas"
22. Favorite ornament theme or color? How can you possibly go wrong with Star Wars ornaments?
23. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Thanksgiving is the big holiday meal for us and it's usually the same menu for Christmas.
24. Do you have Jesus in your heart this Christmas? The good thing is I don't need a special day for Him to be there as He's with me always.