I got a little sidetracked lately and neglected to provide an update on our kitchen remodel in a while. I'm sure everyone was just biting at the bit, waiting with heating anticipation to get the latest, huh. Right...
Well Big Daddy finished the floor just as he said he would. After laying down the grout, putting the coat on over it and letting it dry we finally had a kitchen floor again. I tried taking a few pictures but they just didn't come out the way I wanted to. This was the best of the litter and it really doesn't do the floor justice. Although you can tell from just the photo alone how much of a vast improvement it was over the throwback floor that was in their previously.
Once the floor was finished, we had the laborious task of moving all the appliances back into the kitchen. Okay, so it was just the table, the fridge and the stove...that was still more than enough. I had almost psyched myself out after hearing horror stories about people that attempted to put items into their kitchen on a newly tiled floor and cracking tiles int he process.
The fridge was easy because it had wheels. The hard part was getting it over the lip which connects the hallway and the kitchen. It was difficult but it wasn't impossible. D and I knocked that out with little or no problem. The stove was the one I was fearing the most. No wheels meant we would have to lift it and D already has a bad back. Surprisingly, the stove wasn't as heavy as it looked. Everything in place in the kitchen and not a single tile broke in the process.
Big Daddy knocked out the rest of his portion with little to no difficulty. All that remains now are little things for us to do to finish it up completely. We could have had him do those things too but that would have increased the fee. The money tree in the backyard won't be blooming anytime soon so that wasn't an option.
Still to do:
- Staining the crown moldings and trim
- Painting around the edges where the old cabinets left their mark
- Fixing the window trim around the kitchen window
- Patching the hole in the ceiling where the old light used to be
Those last items may drag on for a bit. Now that it's on just us and no handyman to help, there's not that much of a sense of urgency. I'm going to set the ambitious goal of having it completely done before June. We'll see how that works out.