Yes, it is a word. Ask anyone that has ever played organized ball for any length of time. At least one of their coaches at some point during their career has used the word. It means just like it sounds. Sticking with something even if it's currently not working until you get it to turn out the way you want. Otherwise known as persistence. That's what it took for me to finally fix the thermostat.
As you can see in this lovely before picture, the old one clearly had some issues. To say that it was on its last leg is an understatement. It had been there when we moved in a few years ago and even then it looked old. It didn't help that because of its location, various people had managed to bump into it one way or another causing it to become more and more raggedy. I had tried to jimmy-rig it a couple of times to get it to stay put, but you can see the result.
I decided today I had enough and set out to get a new one. It was quite an undertaking for me because I am not mechanically-inclined at all. I can put together almost anything with instructions, but once it starts talking about electrical things, things get a little iffy. That's why I took a couple of pictures of the old thermostat with me to Menard's to make sure I picked out the right one.
The lady helping me was fairly certain I had selected the correct replacement based on the photo I provided. She even recruited a co-worker, a younger woman, for a second opinion. It appeared the only thing that would be an issue was if my house had a hydrophonic heating system? We summed up that meant floorboard radiators so I was good. I even overlooked the fact that I probably looked pretty incompetent having two women giving me direction on home improvements.
I got home and immediately got to work by cutting off the power to the furnace. We happen to be enjoying some unseasonably warm weather here so that was something else that worked to my benefit. However, once I started taking apart the old thermostat, I was stumped. None of the wires matched up with what the directions on the new one were saying. There was no wire that said RCH or Y or W or G? There were just just three different colored wires. I was clueless.
I put the new-fangled thermostat in its box and put it in the closet. I must have sat there staring at those directions and that old one forever trying to figure out where the difference was. There had to be something that I was missing but I couldn't figure out what it was. I started trying to think of folks I knew that could help a brotha out. Like I needed to look any more helpless.
Then I remembered my buddy Sam had replaced one of these joints before. One call to Sam and I found what I was doing wrong. I didn't take it apart far enough. I unscrewed the second part of it and then I saw the hole in the wall with the real wires I was looking for. Now the directions were finally starting to make sense. Just a few minutes later and I had installed a new digital thermostat all on my own!....sorta...
As you can see, the area doesn't look the prettiest since it wasn't the same size as the last one. Now the hallway is going to need to be re-touched to make up for that area that's mismatched. The important thing is that it works.
Scratch off To Do Item #33 from the list of 1,000 things that need to be done around the house.